Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Central Plains Mennonite Conference Highlights



This past weekend was great! A couple times during the Central Plains Mennonite Conference I thought to myself how much I wished there would be a thousand or two more attendees from our conference churches to take advantage of this fun, spiritually engaging, well planned event.
We had a GREAT speaker during our worship sessions, Michelle Hershberger, I learned some new songs from the worship band, and a there was long list of applicable workshops to choose from. I attended one workshop called Fostering Peace in the Family which looked at child rearing methods that help our children develop into strong, reassured young people that can make positive decisions and work with conflict in healthy ways. Thanks to all those who worked hard to put together such a good conference!
I also got to spend time with the youth and young adult attendees this weekend. The Seeds of the Kingdom who were able to attend (Jess, Randy, and I) agreed to present one of our workshops (Called to be a Dirk) for the youth. Jess did a great job of putting together the workshop and leading us through some challenges toward personal growth.
With Shana Boshart, the conference youth pastor, we led games and activities for the youth during the conference and even checked out some live music downtown during the 4 day event. Sunday morning we worshiped with First Mennonite Church of Lincoln and headed out, soon to begin our tour. In fact, this Saturday we'll be at a youth gathering organized by Lower Deer Creek church of south east Iowa.
Sunday morning (June 29th)Randy, Matt, Elizabeth and I will be at First Mennonite Church of Iowa City (my home congregation) where I'll bring the message and we will lead worship together.

Be sure to check out the next Scattered Seeds edited by Myrna Wenger for the "official" recap of the 2008 annual conference and thanks again for your prayers and support of this trip.


Mark

No comments: