Tuesday, April 8, 2008

3 months of traveling? why so??

I am finishing up my senior year at Goshen College, and I'm starting to get the typical questions that any senior is undoubtedly hearing..."So, what's next for you?" Well, I don't really know what's next, but at least I have my summer figured out. As a member of the "Seeds of the Kingdom" team, I am starting to get excited about a summer of traveling, conversing, and most certainly learning! So, you may be wondering by now..."why do I want to travel around and talk about what it means to be a part of Gods Kingdom...today?" Well, there are numerous reasons that I chose to embark on this summer adventure. For one, I have experienced the disconnect between my rural Mennonite Church back home in Pennsylvania, and my college experience at Goshen in a very real way. No doubt, they are different cultures, a different language that is used, and most certainly, different ways to understand what it means to be a Mennonite in todays world. Having experienced two different Mennonite cultures, I see the need more then ever to bring more conversation to help bridge this gap. What we need is a middle ground to talk instead of more polarization. Secondly, I am excited to hear what excites other Mennonites about Church, and about being a Kingdom people. Yes, I bring some of my own bias's and convictions to the conversations, but no doubt I want to hear other peoples stories too. Finally, I am always in for adventures, and I love to road trip, so why not spend a couple months on the road with four other really sweet people!

No comments: