Monday, August 11, 2008

General Update for Your Reading Pleasure

Well hello there family and fans alike. We have not dropped off the face of the earth, we’re just so busy with other fun things that none of us have put the time into our journal here. So, a few updates.

This last week after a great weekend with the youth of Central Plains Mennonite Conference at Youth Escape ’08! (which by the way, there are a lot of fun and awesome youth in this conference!) we headed up to Mountain Lake, Minnesota. There we joined Bethel Mennonite Church and First Mennonite Church for Tuesday and Wednesday evening workshops. Matt, Jess and I stayed with Amy Nissley (Associate Pastor of Bethel Mennonite) and well, I must say she was a fantastic host. Thanks again for your hospitality.

Our time in Mountain Lake felt quick, but it was rich in good conversations and helpful feedback. Both nights we offered the same two workshops and Jess worked hard to pull together a workshop for youth. In addition to workshop time, we were able to hear stories from two men who participated in Civilian Public Service and heard from two others in the congregation who had done alternative service (I-W). I am becoming more and more convinced that we (a collective Mennonite we) have missed an opportunity with these folks who did CPS. Their stories are rich and an example of the transforming power of service. And while there are books documenting this area, there is a high percentage of churches who could have tapped their own CPSers on the shoulder and used them for Sunday School lessons or to come talk during baptism classes, or set up some other venue to share.

And I digress. From Mountain Lake we moved to Manson, Iowa. Again, we have been graciously hosted by individuals and by the congregation. As you will see in our pictures, we were taken for an afternoon of swimming and boating and we helped shuck some corn as the church prepared for a sweet corn feed.

I am learning in new ways, as I talk about my faith and as I talk with people about this exciting vision of Shalom, that none of this works unless I am centrally grounded in my faith. And as I am pushed to ground myself in my faith I am finding that I am learning a new language; a new language to talk about my faith in. A language I have formerly been very skeptical of using and even more than skeptical, I have been uncomfortable using it. A scary, startling and exciting transformation to be sure. More thoughts to come on this later, don’t expect it too soon!

Elizabeth

No comments: