Wednesday, August 27, 2008

How I Can Keep from Singing

I am an insecure singer. My involvement in choir ended in 7th grade and so did my ability to find notes without strong singers around me.

Insecure or not I do love singing. In the car when I’m alone, in my room when I’m alone and even with my guitar…when I’m alone. But around others I feel squeaky and I get quite embarrassed.

Now for some of you who know me, you will say, “but wait there are exceptions to these statements.” Well, yes there are. In Service Adventure I sang with my friends and fellow housemates. I even sang in front of the church. In college I sang with friends for a variety show. But, those are the exceptions, I guess until this summer.

In the churches we have visited we generally sing for/with them. Usually it is teaching them My Soul Cries Out, a song from Sing the Story. I sing with the Seeds and usually enjoy myself, but I finish with the haunting feeling that I have squeaked and squawked rather than made something beautiful.

Jess has been away the last few weeks leaving my voice as the sole female voice when we sing in congregations. This has been a challenge, but this last weekend I learned a valuable lesson during our visit to Templo Alabanza and Casa de Oracion.

Unlike so many of the Mennonite congregations of the conference, there are no Blue Hymnals in the churches. Singing is not four-part harmony, but it’s still a time to worship with energy and joy. Singing in these churches was for glory to God, not glory to our voices in harmony.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love four-part singing. In fact, the only music Matt and I had at our wedding was the voices of our friends and family. But I need to remember when I feel like I’m squeaking and squawking; I should change my attitude and not let my dreams of four-part glorious harmony get in the way of making a joyful noise to the Lord.

Elizabeth

No comments: